Navigation Skills for Mountain Bikers in Snowdonia
Venue: Snowdonia, North Wales
Price: £150 per person
Suitable for: Intermediate & Advanced Riders happy riding blue graded trails but wanting the emphasis to be on learning navigation skills.
Who is the Navigation Skills for Mountain bikers in Snowdonia course suitable for?
If you enjoy your Mountain Biking and have hit the trail centres and now want to learn the skills to be self sufficient in the mountains then this is the course for you. Over two days we teach you mountain navigation skills including use of guidebooks, maps, compass and GPS to allow you to plan your own mountain rides and enjoy them without too many epics! The whole course is bike based in Snowdonia with plenty of good riding along the way.
What do the two days entail?
We will meet in the Siabod Cafe in Capel Curig on the first morning of the course and chat through your previous experience, aspirations and the weather forecast and ground conditions for the two days. The course will cover:
– Two full days of practical navigation on mountain bikes in the mountains of Snowdonia
– Planning a route using maps and guidebooks
– Clothing and equipment overview and selection
– Introduction to different map scales
– How to set the map
– How to interpret contours
– How to interpret key symbols ie how to find a footpath, fence, stream etc
– How to plan and follow a route using bridleways and other key features
– The use of bike computers to measure distance on the ground and how to measure from the map
– How to navigate in poor or limited visibility
– How to use the compass
– How to re-orientate yourself if you do get lost
– Mountain weather – how the weather affects our route planning and choice during the day
– Emergency procedures in case of an incident
– Choice and use of equipment including an element of use of GPS (I will demonstrate the role that GPS plays for me in my own navigation and we will look at the advantages and limitations of GPS units. You don’t need a GPS unit but I will happily answer questions about yours if you bring it along.)
– Environmental knowledge and considerations
The course fee includes leadership only. You will need to provide your own bike and kit and we will send a full kit list at the time of booking. Bike hire is available locally in Betws Y Coed if required.
Who runs the course?
Huw and I run the majority of courses ourselves. We each hold Mountain Bike or Trail leader qualifications and First Aid qualifications. We also hold the highest mountaineering instructional qualifications in the UK (the MIC), we are monthly contributors to Trail Magazine on all things mountains, I am a member of the Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team and we each have more than 20 years of happy mountain biking experience behind us. You can read more about us here.
What about accommodation & transport?
We do not include accommodation with this course. For a variety of different accommodation options in Snowdonia, from camping to nice hotels, visit this link. The link also shows road and rail travel options to Snowdonia.
Meeting Place & Time
Once you book we will send you a comprehensive set of course notes and a letter of confirmation, this will include a detailed kit list and details of where and when we meet. The first day normally starts at 9:30am in Capel Curig and finishes in the same place at about 4:00pm.
When does this course run?
You can view the dates of all of our courses throughout the year on the diary page.
If you have any questions that you can’t find answers to on the website visit our contact page for details on how to get in touch.